Anonymous asked you:
My hair colour undergoes slight changes throughout the year; in the summer, it lightens and turns into a more vibrant auburn while the lack of sun exposure in the winter darkens my locks to a chestnut brown. Regardless of the season, most of my friends, who aren’t as particular (or peculiar) as I am, offhandedly say that my hair is auburn, but I remain doubtful as to whether or not I am technically a redhead.
Yes, which colors of chestnut are auburn and which are brunette? People seem to have all sorts of different opinions. Maybe there isn’t any technical rule about it? I haven’t found one. So maybe you can decide for yourself whether you’re a redhead :D. Strawberry blondes have similar questions.. or options, haha (previous post). Personally, I welcome a wide range of colors as redheads :).
Terms describing red hair according to Wikipedia and raising-redheads.com:
- Auburn & Chestnut - brown hair with red undertones. auburn is more on the red side while chestnut is on the brown.
- Mahogany - Darkest of auburn shades
- Titian - a bit lighter than auburn
- Strawberry blond (Venetian or Honey blond) - lightest red hair, almost blonde with red undertones
- Fiery red
- Carrot color - the brightest red color
- Pre-Raphaelite - warm red colors
- Pink - A “tint” of red. Pinks are light reds.
- Reddishness is something mixed or tinged with red - somewhat red - colored shades of red.
Art is by dahlia (takenaka)