Strawberry Blonde -
Photo: Scarlett Johansson by Michael Thompson for Allure Nov 2006
Anonymous asked you:
I don’t know if you can help me but I was wondering how to react when people call me a ginger or a redhead, because, while I was one in my youth, a lot of gingers I know get insulted/offended when I am called a redhead, as my hair is now more of a strawberry blonde- a not quite brown, not quite red, bronze or dark amber. I consider myself a redhead (more or less), but it puts me in an awkward spot when one person says “I love your ginger hair!” only for a second to shoot “she’s not a redhead!”.
I haven’t found any technical rule about which colors of strawberry blonde are red and which are blonde. It sounds like you could go along with the people who say you aren’t red, and “pass” as a non-ginger if you wanted to, haha :D. Just my opinion, I tend to think of strawberry blondes as redheads. And I think it’s great when we gingers stand up for our red hair and our souls, haha :D. Ginger Pride!!
Here are some terms describing Red Hair [taken from wikipedia & raising-redheads.com]
- Strawberry blond (Venetian or Honey blond) - lightest red hair, almost blonde with red undertones
- Fiery red
- Carrot color - the brightest red color
- Pre-Raphaelite - warm red colors
- Titian - a bit lighter than auburn
- Auburn & Chestnut - brown hair with red undertones. auburn is more on the red side while chestnut is on the brown.
- Mahogany - Darkest of auburn shades
- Pink - A “tint” of red. Pinks are light reds.
- Reddishness is something mixed or tinged with red - somewhat red - colored shades of red.